12.31.2013

Cottage Style Party & Happy New Year!





Happy new year everyone!


I hope you had a wonderful Christmas!

I know I'm looking forward to a new year!




With a new year comes a new start. My new start is to declutter and sell/get rid of all the stuff I have been ignoring for the last year.
(which is all I will fess up to, one year...)



One of those things is 2 plastic bins of old cookbooks. I love old cookbooks and pick them up everywhere. While 2 bins might not seem like a lot, at one point my collection was out of control.

These are the last 2 bins which have been in hiding and now need to be sorted, flipped through, then a decision must be made to their fate.


But before I decide what to do with all of them, here's a few of my favorites from the bin I sorted earlier today.




Brer Rabbit made molasses that was used to sweeten everything from pies, cakes and cookies to baked beans and children's milk.




I love the old Pillsbury bake-off cook books. This one is from the 5th bake-off, the 1954 competition. The Butter Cookies book is also from Pillsbury and its 15c price makes it earlier than the bake-offs.





Despite never having canned, (I know what is wrong with me?), I love old canning cookbooks. You would think with a name like "ABC's of Canning" I would read it and learn how to can. 




Cookbooks that tell you how to entertain and cook for company. Back when these cookbooks came out, dinner parties were much more formal and a hostess was judged by her entertaining style.





Cakes! Always a hook for me to pick these up!





I even pick up cookbooks that reproduce old recipes like this one for cowboy cooking. I love reading the history of the recipes like this one:



I hope you can read the history of this recipe in the top right.





This cookbook promises "Recipes for Good Eating". Which begs the question: is there any other kind of eating?



Clearly someone liked this Peanut Butter Cookies recipe!




This cookbook makes a huge promise! Let's see if it delivers...



Huh?





I love the cookbooks the government put out with frugal cooking tips, recipes and gardening ideas during WWII.



How frugal is this? Save vitamins!




While most meat was saved for the boys in the war, the home cook was left with beef tongue and beef heart...and recipes to prepare them!




Hope you enjoyed my little walk through cookbook history. I think what I love the most is the history behind the cookbooks!









Hello Friends!

Welcome to this weeks

Cottage Style Party!

#77





Welcome and happy new year!


I hope you are all celebrating in your favorite way with those you love!


Let's get started...




I am just in awe!
First I just want to throw some love at the fireplace itself! Let's enjoy the holiday decor...love the lights twined around the candles, the bottle brush trees on top and that snowfall pompom garland is just adorable!


And if you drop into Mod Vintage Life, Nita will show you how to make the garland AND the bottle brush trees!
Woot!








This is just a tiny smidgen of the most bling-a-licious tree I have seen all season!
And it starts with the $3 tree!


This gorgeous tree is decorated with vintage jewelry! Yep, that's right...jewelry!
Stop by Trisha's blog American Honey Home to see the entire tree and more details of the jewels!










Since it is New Years Eve, I thought these yummy looking meringues would be perfect!
They are just too pretty to eat!


Drop in to Pennywise Blog for Christina's recipe for these yummy looking Citrus Champagne Meringues.
And enjoy the photos too...so pretty!







If you were featured, don't
forget your button!


 Deb









































Thanks for stopping by!

 Please visit these wonderful bloggers 

and their fabulous blogs 

to see what they are up to:


















































10 comments:

  1. Oh how I love the old cookbooks - especially if they have little stories or are put out by local charities - such fun. I recognize several of those as being in my own house at one time - but now I have gotten rid of all of them. They were fun for a while - I don't use the recipes in them and they took up space, but I sure enjoyed reading them while I had them - such memories. I especially like the covers - and the mother/daughter aprons are a hoot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love cookbooks - new or old! I read them like novels, from the front cover all the way to the back. Thanks for hosting! I hope you have a happy and healthy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here to wish you the best new year 2014 and many blessings. Thank you for hosting througout 2013 this great party. Looking forward to 2014 as well.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for the feature! That just made my Year! Best thing to happen so far! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My niece would go crazy for the cookbooks. She especially likes the ones produced by groups for fundraisers. I think they are so much fun to read. Wishing you wealth, health, and peace for the new year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like the book with the cowboy stories and the one about preserving vitamins during the cooking process!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love old cookbooks! I got one for Christmas (thanks Santa!).

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVED the post with these old cookbooks! So much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Deb.. lovely post... as usual... As I have been doing a bit of New year's organizing I saw that the side button I had for you didnt open to your site, but I was getting the oops message that you had moved... YOu might want to check that and maybe redo something,. I fixed my side by just doing a linky image on my side bar. Thanks and Happy new year.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you!