3.03.2010

Lemon Tree in Bloom


My lemon tree is blooming! I’m so thrilled that a) its not just blooming but full of blooms (!) and b) that I didn’t kill it over the long, cold, gloomy, sunless winter! Yeah, me! I can almost taste those deliciously sweet Meyer lemons…yum! I have plans for them…lemon curd, lemon tarts, preserved lemons, Limoncello, lemon & herb butter, lemon cake, lemon sorbet, lemon bars, candies lemon peel, lemon drops, lemon poppy seed muffins…. I think you get the (lemon) message. I can’t wait till they ripen!



To fill my need for gardening year round in a not-so-year-round gardening climate, I bought a lemon tree. In the warmer months I take it outside, water it occasionally and mostly let it be. When the weather turns cool in the fall I bring it indoors where it looses most of its leaves by spring. If I’m lucky it will produce flowers on the tips of the almost leafless branches. If I didn’t kill it over the long, cold, gloomy, sunless winter, that is.


I’ve since branched out with a banana tree (barely alive), a fig tree which just broke dormancy (another leaf-less tree I haven’t managed to kill…yet) and an olive tree which is mostly leaf-less so the jury is still out on whether I managed to kill it or not… I hope I haven’t killed it as I would love to cure my own olives but since it hasn’t produced any yet (fingers crossed!) that little dream will have to wait.


Until then…my lemon tree is blooming!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you!